Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Learn for?

High School

It’s hazy and foggy. The rain and condensation upon the windows almost captures the atmosphere of the classroom. Each student’s face is masked with daze as our teacher displays a profound lack of leadership. I do not like it here. I do not like being confined to a lesson plan while the world outside is just waiting to be pursued. The entire universe is changing rapidly with the exception of this classroom. Day in and day out it is the same thing. Day in and day out I'm imprisoned and acutely aware of my inability to fit in with the rest of the inmates. Do I even want to fit in? I feel the moment I begin to fit in is the moment I regress. My peers, however, do sometimes make me feel as though I'm at fault for wanting something better. One day, though, I will be known for my extraordinary contributions and my peers will understand why I was so different. But for now, it's procedures and multiple-choice. Nothing is innovative, nothing is going to change the world, and nothing is going to revolutionize our society. It is ironic and sad that this place is designed for learning. We are not taught how to put thought into action nor are we taught how to apply the concepts we have memorized. All we hope for is to remember what bubble to fill in come Friday’s test. I do not waste my time studying the formula for triangles divided by squares. No, I study my teacher's mannerisms as the spit accumulates to the left corner of his mouth and I begin wonder how I can turn this into a prose poem.

No comments: