Thursday, June 19, 2008

Nancy, the girl good with numbers

Nancy came from Africa and found herself in my pga class as a 10th grade student. Few days after we met, she wanted to go to a harder class since she had learned much at her own country. I gave her a test and she indeed was able to score better than an average algebra2 student.

I went to see the counselor. On or right after 20 days into school year, I was finally getting an “OK” to fill out a change form. I signed the form and called the parents to sign for it. It was turned in and I was assured that the form would not be processed right away but it will eventually be executed.

Soon after that, I was given a choice to keep her in my room until official change was sent in or move her to a pd1 geometry class. Student wanted to move right away.

Now, I was blamed for “moving student” without permission. I will need to sign something acknowledging that I did something wrong.

I thought we promised to give “all” children a fair education. Nancy was in 10th grade and most students took geometry in 9th grade or earlier so she was already behind. She was more than ready for it and she told me she wanted to take as many hard math as possible.

EPILOGUE: I met her prior to summer and she said she did very well in geometry. I just smiled. I do not regret trying to get her in an appropriate class. I did the right thing.

EPILOGUE2: She did well in honors algebra2 and now is in honors pre-calc. :)

1 comment:

Ed said...

She is now in Honors algebra2 and doing well. She is one of two black students in that class.